Before You Ask Me for a Letter of Recommendation: 10 Questions
10. Have you taken more than one of my classes?
9. Were you a top performer in those classes?
8. Is your GPA in the top tier for students in your program?
7. Are you requesting the letter in person?
6. Have you visited my office hours previously?
5. Have we discussed your career/educational plans previously?
4. Have you neatly assembled all of the information necessary for me to write the letter?
3. Are we meeting at least 2 months before the deadline?
2. Do I have knowledge of the areas that need to be addressed in the letter?
1. Have you waived your right to read the letter?
The answer to all of these questions should be “yes.” Even so, I may decline if I cannot offer a stellar recommendation.
Questions? Ask me on Twitter @NoExtraCredit.